Saturday, February 19, 2011

Morning Tea



Ever since we first started talking about ministering in New Zealand, I've wanted to have ladies in for morning tea. Morning tea is what Kiwis call their mid-morning snack. So,once school was back in session, I decided it was time to calendar this. Of course I wanted the group to be small enough that we could share openly (and all get around the dining table), but large enough we weren't struggling for conversation (perish the thought). So, from left to right, we have Sereena, Karen, Helen and Daphne. I made my raspberry scones (Tom Small's recipe)--yum, and a quiche. Of course, my Kiwi friends thought my scones were cookies, but nevermind. Maybe they wondered why there was margarine on the table. I tried a lemon curd recipe but of course it didn't come out quite right. We've got a lemon tree just outside the garage and it is bursting with ripe lemons. Oh, and my buttercup post...well I'm not convinced they are buttercups, but I haven't been able to determine what type of pumpkin they are.

Later that evening, we had Alan & Sam Whyte over for dinner (plus Alan's mum). Mrs. Whyte was Micah's teacher last year (brave soul). After dinner we played Apples to Apples, which we've done with many of our guests. It has become a favorite. Sometimes the younger kids need a little assistance with some of the larger terms used in the game. It is great fun!

Oh, and speaking of great fun, today we went to Napier, the Art Deco capital of the world (only about twenty minutes away). After a major earthquake in 1931, where the entire city was destroyed, the city was rebuilt in an art deco style. Every year the city hosts Art Deco Weekend. We saw a fantastic parade of a hundred or so vintage automobiles, with all occupants dressed accordingly. Great fun!

4 comments:

Shazza89101 said...

Awesome Traci, I'm glad the Lord is blessing you and your family in New Zealand I hope all is well with you and the recent natural events...praying that all is well darlin!!!

Anonymous said...

All is VERY well for us, Sharon. Thank you.

Corynne said...

Glad you're having tea time. Your scones are delicious. Chet and I made similar ones for the B&B guests. sounds like fun. hope all is well in New Zealand!

starbucksgirl said...

Traci, this post was super cute. I could just SMELL the scones while reading. Yum, yum. I laughed when I read the part about "struggling for conversation (perish the thought)." Wish I was there so that you would know that the conversation would never struggle. :) Love you!